Looking for something?

Thursday 30 January 2020


ABS!!

Written by Ojieonweya Ruth (Ardent researcher)
Edited by Irene Chy O.



I never knew I could be convicted of a crime that I never committed. Strange but funny as it is, I was arrested and detained for a whole week in jail. This was because I was intoxicated with alcohol and I was driving on the major road too.
Even after I pleaded innocent, I wasn't heard. When I contacted my doctor, he arrived with my medical history and proved that I had a syndrome. The ABS. The rare syndrome, which no man in your village has been diagnosed of. I have lived with the Auto Brewery Syndrome and I know you do not know about it. I will tell you afterall. 
Auto brewery syndrome is a rare medical condition like I mentioned above, in which intoxicating quantities of ethanol is produced through endogenous fermentation within the digestive system. This happens right inside your body. I didn't have to pay for the alcohol, my body produced the alcohol and forced me to take it by diffusion. 
Auto brewery syndrome can occur in patients with short bowel syndrome. Short bowel syndrome is the malabsorption disorder caused by a lack of functional small intestine. Yea, there are people whose small intestines are that way.

Symptoms 
During the period of diagnosis, it was hard to recall that I had the symptoms below, but they are seen in almost all of my kind.


*Excessive belching: every 5 minutes was gas release. 
*Dizziness: you can't imagine. 
*Dry mouth: even with the daily mls of distilled water. 
*Hangovers: all the time.
 *Delusion.
*Irritable bowel syndrome.
 *Chronic fatigue syndrome such as depression and anxiety. I almost lost my mind.


Diagnosis
Alcohol can be detected by testing blood or the breath. My physician used special kits to detect traces of alcohol in my blood sample and used some strips for my breath. This was carried out and repeated multiple times in the same day.


Treatment 
Since the auto brewery syndrome is principally from the action of fungi on carbohydrates, the use of antifungal medications can help alleviate the symptoms. More so, I cut down carbohydrates in my diet since it's better to be safe than sorry. You don't want to get arrested like I was done right?
Thanks for reading. 🌹🌹


4 comments: